agents or poisonous industrial wastes, is detected, every effort must be made to find an uncontaminated water source before considering treating and using water known to be contaminated.
When an uncontaminated source of supply is not available for use, permission must be secured from proper medical authority to proceed with treatment of the contaminated water.
Water is considered CONTAMINATED AND UNSAFE for treating if one or more of the following results are obtained from competent testing:
Arsenic test. . . . . . . . . . . . . . positive
Mustard test . . . . . . . . . . . . . positive
pH test . . . . . . . . . . . . . .pH below 6
Chlorine demand test . . . . . . . . . positive
Nerve agent test . . . . . . . . . . . positive
Taste and odor test . . . . . . . . . . positive
Water is considered safe for treatment by the usual methods if the pH is above 6.0 and all other contamination tests are negative.
The ROWPU will successfully remove 99 percent of CBR contamination from a water source. A post-treatment system in conjunction with the ROWPU will remove a total of 99.9 percent of CBR contamination.
The 600-gph ROWPU post-treatment system consists of two CBR cylinders. One cylinder is for nuclear and the other is for chemical. The types of contamination present will determine what cylinder you should use. The CBR cylinder filters are capable of decontaminating water for up to 100 operating hours. The cylinder marked "nuclear" contains resin beads that absorb certain ions present on the nuclear battlefield. The cylinder marked "chemical" contains activated carbon that absorbs agents found on the chemical battlefield.
The ROWPU removes the majority of ions wit bout post treatment. The reverse osmosis (RO) removal characteristics for nuclear warfare agents are as follows:
95.5% of iodine, leaving the nuclear cylinder to remove 4.5%.
99.7% of strontium, leaving the nuclear cylinder to remove .2%
98.% of cesium, leaving the nuclear cylinder to remove 1.2%.
The ROWPU also removes large amounts of chemical agents. RO removal characteristics for various chemical warfare agents are as follows:
GB-99.1%, leaving the chemical cylinder to remove .7%.
VX-99.9%, leaving the chemical cylinder to remove .1%.
BZ-99.9%, leaving the chemical cylinder to remove .1%.Continue Reading