of the water source. The semirigid suction hose segments are removed from the main frame mounting cam locks and fitted together with a suction strainer placed in the water source. The green freshwater hose is fitted to the freshwater discharge port on one end. The other end feeds the processed water to the potable water holding tank or dispersement center. One end of the blue wastewater hose is fitted to the wastewater discharge port. The other end is placed so runoff can take place without hampering or contaminating further operations.
START-UP. - Follow the steps listed below before starting the engine.
1. Fill the pump strainer with water to prime; close the cover tightly.
2. Set all control valves to START, as shown in figure 2-27.
3. Remove the DE storage container and set it aside.
4. Fill a 3-gallon bucket three-quarters full of water and add three 2000 ml measures of DE slowly, stirring the mixture as you add the DE. Do NOT add the DE to the DE tank at this time.
5. Fill a 3-gallon bucket three-quarters full of water and add 8 ounces of chlorine. After mixing the calcium hypochlorite solution, allow the solution to settle. When the mixture is settled, pour the solution into the hypochlorite tank.
The engine of the 3000-D is equipped with an automatic decompression device and an excess fuel- starting device that allows the engine to start easily and safely. The automatic decompression device has three positions:
1. Operation - the decompression is OFF, the engine has compression.
2. Neutral - for cold starting, compression is OFF.
3. Start position - cranking the engine causes the automatic decompression to operate. When the pin moves into the operating position, decompression ends and the engine fires.
Never use the decompression device to stop the engine. This causes internal engine damage.
Wear hearing protection.
The procedures for a cold start are as follows:
1. Place the automatic decompression device in START and pull the excess fuel-starting device.
2. Insert the crank handle into the crank-handle guide. If you are not sure of the proper way to place your hand on the crank handle while cranking, then ask your supervisor for instructions.
3. Crank the engine slowly for four cranks and then turn the crank as quickly as you can. Once the engine starts, run the engine at half speed for about 1 minute.
4. Raise the engine to full speed.
Once you have precoated the filter, the unit is ready to perform the function of purifying water. Every 30 minutes, check the chlorine residual, the turbidity of the potable water, and the DE tank for slurry mixture.
Backwashing of the filter must be done when the pressure difference between the filter inlet and the outlet exceeds 20 psi.
SECURING THE UNIT. - Set the control valves as follows:
1. Outlet selector valves - WASTE
2. Waste outlet valve - OFF
3. Backwash valve - BACKWASH
4. Precoat valve - FILTER
5. Filter drain valve - DRAINContinue Reading