The purification is done by filtering the water to
remove the majority of suspended solids. Once the
majority of the suspended solids are removed, high
pressure forces the water through a semipermeable
membrane. A maximum of 600 pounds psi is used for
fresh and brackish water, and a maximum of 900
pounds psi is used for salt water. Chemicals are added
to the product water to kill bacteria.
SUPPORT EQUIPMENT.The self-contained
skid-mounted ROWPU unit requires a portable
generator capable of providing 30 kilowatts of power
Other supportable equipment includes the
following: portable onion skin bladders (3,000
gallons), as shown in figure 2-30, or collapsible water
tanks (3,000 gallons); four frame-mounted, portable,
electrical motor-driven water pumps with hoses and
fittings; water test equipment (TDS meter, color
comparator, etc.); and an operating supply of chemicals
(chlorine, sodium hex, polymer, and citric acid).
WATERFLOW THROUGH THE ROWPU.
you read through the next 18 items listed, refer to the
flow diagram in figure 2-31.
1. This is the water source that you are going to
purify through the ROWPU.
2. The strainer is attached to the end of the intake
hose to keep rocks, leaves, and any other foreign objects
from entering the pumps and filters.
3. The first of the two pumps that draw water from
the water source and pump the water to the ROWPU.
4. The second of the two pumps that draw water
from the water source and punp the water to the ROWPU.
5. The polymer pump adds a polyelectrolyte
solution to the raw water. The polymer causes
coagulation of small floating particles. This enables the
filters to remove the particles.
6. The sodium hex pump adds a solutionof sodium
hexametaphosphate to prevent scaling of the filters.
7. The multimedia filter is the first actual filter that
the raw water goes through.
8. After the water has been filtered, the booster
pump draws the water and forces it through the cartridge
9. As the water goes through the cartridge filter,
tiny particles that were not filtered out by the
multimedia filter are filtered out.
10. The reverse osmosis (RO) pump increases the
filtered water pressure and forces the water through the
RO elements (semipermeable membranes)
11. The pulse dampener is simply a ball-shaped
device that reduces the shock caused by the piston
action of the pump.
Figure 2-29.Generator skid-mounted.