Textbook Assignment: "Automotive Electrical Circuits and Wiring" (continued) and "Hydraulic
and Pneumatic Systems," chapters 2 and 3, pages 2-40 through 3-37.
Of the following conditions on a
distributor cap, which one will short
coil voltage to ground?
1. Faulty distributor lead
2. Broken coil wire
3. Carbon trace
4. Broken rotor
When the points in a contact-point
distributor become burnt or pitted, you
should take what action?
1. Clean the points with a special file
2. Remove any burrs or pits with fine
3. Clean the points with a rubbing
block and realign
4. Discard them and install a new set
After installing contact points, you
notice that the faces do not make full
contact. What corrective action should
1. File the faces straight across the
edge that is riding high
2. Bend the movable breaker arm
3. Bend the stationary contact
4. Remove the points and realign the
When setting the dwell on a contact-
point distributor, you should replace
the distributor if the dwell varies more
than what number of degree(s)?
When testing an electronic distributor,
you conduct what test to check the
resistance of the pickup coil?
1. Pickup coil ammeter test
2. Pickup coil ohmmeter test
3. Pickup coil voltage drop test
4. Pickup coil ECU test
What tool should you use to set the
pickup coil air gap?
1. Multi-blade steel feeler gauge
2. Nonmagnetic feeler gauge
3. Dwell meter
4. 12-volt test light