Figure 8-9. - Donning the facepiece (six-strap model).
cylinder, and grasp the cylinder control valve with the left hand. This action allows the left hand to open the cylinder control valve and to help boost the cylinder toward the back.
3. Continue the swinging movement; bring the right hand and arm over the head and place the wide shoulder strap on the right shoulder. Boost the cylinder into position on the back as shown.
4. Release the main line of the shoulder takeup strap from the right hand but hold firmly to the loop end. Pull down and out on the loop end to tighten the harness to fit the body.
5. Fully open the cylinder control valve before it has been released by the left hand.
6. Reach behind the body with the right hand and secure the waist strap hanging from the lower 8-23 part of the cylinder. Bring this waist strap around the waist from the right side and snap it into the ring just below the demand regulator valve.
7. With the right hand, pull to the right and out on the loop end of the waist strap to tighten. The equipment is now in the standby position, and the facepiece may be applied to the head any time before entering the contaminated area.
8. Donning the facepiece is the same as has been described (fig. 8-9). The facepiece will not yet have been connected to the equipment.
9. The breathing tube can be connected to the demand regulator any time the wearer desires, usually just before entering the contaminated area to conserve the cylinder supply. As long asContinue Reading